Topband: VU2GSM webSDR use

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sun Jan 14 13:27:31 EST 2018

Steve,

Thanks. Word wrap prevented me from opening the file with your e-mail messages but I copied the full URL into my browser and it did open.  Possibly he is using WebSDR more on 160m-80m, but from my experience on 40m, his operating behavior -- and that of others calling him doesn’t seem to follow his use of WebSDR on receive.  That's just my observation and it may change in the future.

Since you mentioned VU2GSM, I made specific mention of him in my post, but it applies equally to other VUs who are just as strong here LP in the morning, including 4S7AB in Sri Lanka.

When using WebSDR, I think the ethical approach is to disclose the Rx location when issuing a signal report -- and that goes for RHR users too.  If not defined in the report, then we should assume the op is listening from his own station.  Now that I've opened that up, is there a similar ethical dilemma if I am listening on my own remote station 30 miles, away?  How about 500 miles away?

Paul, W9AC