Topband: VE6WZ

Dave rfsales at freng.com
Sun Jan 14 19:45:06 EST 2018

Steve, many thanks for the info regarding VU/remote receive contacts. I,
like many others have spent many hours listening for the VU stations and I
would have been very disappointed to find out that it would have been a half
QSO as you described it, so I will spend more time doing other things.  It
is not my prerogative to preach this or that but I wish that we, as a group
of interested 160M advocates, could re-instate a working set of DX windows
for Asia and Europe. If you consider the outlook for DX stations in remote
areas they have very little chance of their signal breaking through the loud
cacophony of stations in highly populated regions. I have lost count of the
number of times I can hear DX underneath US stations but can't respond for
fear of causing upset. Just last night I was QSX for EX8M and a W6 asked if
freq was clear, I immediately replied that yes there was DX on freq, he
started calling CQ  despite my response. If we want DX stations to keep
trying to make contacts then we need to at least keep a frequency window
clear for them to flourish.

The ever increasing use of computer derived QSOs is here to stay but like
you I find it less than satisfying having spent so many years developing
skills that are being challenged by software not by other by people..

Thanks again for your post.

Dave, AA0RS