Topband: cheating

terry burge ki7m at comcast.net
Mon Jan 15 15:16:15 EST 2018

Hi,

Thanks for stating the rules. I believe the (a) basically means if you move from one state to another within your country your DXCC is still valid and you don't have to start over. I would not want to do that.

(b) I believe this means you must transmit and receive from your specific station keeping it within a 500 meter diameter circle. You station's antennas must be located within that range for doing the receiving and sending. Does not say anything about using remote stations.

(c) This third point is where the problem is and needs clarification. WebSDR's, remote operation of stations, microwave or some type of internet link to another station can be legal. But If I use a webSDR from Florida or New England to work the Europeans from Oregon how can that possibly be acceptable for DXCC?

Anyone who has heard me on 80 meters trying to work the Europeans in the SSB DX window will know I have a major problem hearing them. But that don't mean I am going to resort to using webSDR's. Don't really know how but of course I have heard and even seen a QST article about them. I personally though that would be a great little receiver to setup on some high, isolated mountain top. But how to link to it was my great rub. Of course shouldn't it be within 500 meters to be valid DXCC contact from my station? We have lots of tall isolated mountains in Oregon including Mt.Jefferson which I can see from my shack. But it just need to be clearly stated in the DXCC rules if something like that is valid. And then what about also having the transmitter up on that mountain too. Solar powered, etc with 440 or 1220 Mhz line of site link. Who has the money? Not me. But personally I would like my DXCC to mean a real achievement. Not some game of who can beat the dealer.

FWIW,

Terry

KI7M