Topband: Question about KH1 to EU QSO possibilities with respect to auroral oval

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Jul 14 12:49:53 EDT 2018

There was a lot of discussion about the Baker Is. Dxpedition
implying that the main impediment as to where they could work
was mutual darkness.  Here in W6, we have many hours of mutual
darkness with EU, yet we rarely hear EU on 160 or even 80 meters.
(Except 80 meter long path during our morning).
The auroral oval hypothesis seems to be proven by the fact that
we can still work the Azores and northern Africa, and maybe
just barely southern Portugal, but nothing farther north.
Except for occasional exceptional propagation, during which
EU becomes a chip shot for the night.

Why should anyone expect to have KH1 to EU propagation directly
over the north pole even in the presence of mutual darkness,
except as a rare fluke?

73
Rick N6RK