Topband: Relationship Between Ground Wave and Low-Angle Radiation

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Fri Sep 13 13:02:12 EDT 2019

On 9/13/2019 6:31 AM, N4ZR wrote:
> I don't think I've ever read anything on this topic.  Basically, what
> I'm asking is, could ground wave to a fairly nearby Skimmer be used as
> an analogue to low-angle radiation to assess the effectiveness of
> radial systems on an inverted L?  W3LPL is about 30 miles from me and
> has a very capable Skimmer Server-based RBN node.

Hi Pete

Perhaps you could try some RBN tests without changing anything
significant on either end of the system over a period of time just to
see if you can get a stable baseline. A transmit beacon on a timer that
lets it transmit from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM every day for a month would
give you a pretty sizeable dataset. Then you could pull down the RBN
records to see how much variability there was in signal strength over a
large set of measurements.