Topband: remotes

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Feb 6 09:42:48 EST 2024

People are driven by different things. For instance, I would be lying if
I claimed I wasn't competitively driven. And I can tell you that at
points in my life it has caused me to "lose perspective". Have I been
overly enthusiastic with the drive to my Alpha 91 amplifier on occasion?
Yes. Have I driven like an idiot in the wee hours of the morning in hope
of getting to my station in time to work a new one? Yes. For some folks,
their narcissism seems to be so bad that there are no lines they won't
cross to be able to claim top-dog status (e.g. Europeans using North
American remotes to work new ones on 160, claiming to be unassisted in
contests while using DX cluster assistance, etc).

I think the best advice I've ever heard in this regard is to compete
with yourself instead of competing with others. For instance, I can
almost guarantee that I will never make top 10 in the CW Sprint contest.
I can, however, try to best my previous scores (and hopefully stave off
cognitive decline). Push yourself to be a better operator and/or station
builder, use the accomplishments of your betters to show you what is
possible, take pride in your accomplishments, enjoy the thrill of rare
openings, and first and foremost - have fun!

73, Mike W4EF...............