Falling tower question

Steve Sawyers n0yvy sawyers@inav.net
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 21:56:26 -0500

Scott Neader wrote:

> >>       If I should ever lose a top guy wire or its anchor, should I expect
> >>to have the tower collapse instead of bending?
>
> >      Interesting question.  According to the information that I've seen, a
> >guyed tower will fall typically within a circle around its base approximately
> >30% of its height.  It doesn't "fall over" because it is constrained, or
> >tethered, by the remaining guy wires.  Talk about a pile of scrap...
> >
> >    BTW, this probably shoots the heck out of tower building set-back
> >regulations.
>
> So, what happens to a self-supporting tower when it decides to fall?  Does
> it typically stay within that 30% of height... or will my future tower hit
> my neighbor's house?   (just planning my answers when the neighbors start
> asking once I do choose a tower and put it up)
>
> - Scott KA9FOX

> INTERNET SOLUTIONS - Affordable web page design and storage
> Scott Neader (608)788-1234 / FAX (608)787-0100 / neader@QTH.com
> Internet Solutions web: http://QTH.com/is   Ham web: http://QTH.com
>
> --
> Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

Free Standing towers typically fall down wind as straight as a string.

Which is one of the main reasons I like guyed towers and keeping them
50% of tower height plus the mast height away from the house. I do not
want my towers in my living room or bed room.

Unless, of course, it is Rohn 25. That stuff is so light and flimsy, I
have seen it fall on a chain link fence and not hurt the fence, but it
did demolish the tower.

de n0yvy steve