Preformed Guy Grips -question

John Brosnahan broz@csn.net
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:36:37 -0600

>>Steve, I asked you this question before I think. Should I use thimbles when
>>attaching preformed guy grips to the tower leg?
>>Vic

Vic and Steve,

Any guy attachment directly to a Rohn tower should never go around JUST
the tower leg, which is where it would have to go with a guy grip and a
thimble.

Rohn shows that all direct connections to tower legs with guys should have
the guy wire go around the leg while going thru the two "vees" of the
bracing.  This distributes guy forces to all three legs--the direct leg and the
other two through the bracing.  But that forces an angle to the guy
attachment that just doesn't work for a thimble.

The thimble's job is to keep the grip from collapsing and fracturing due to the
sharp bend.  Going through the vees without a thimble looks ugly but the mess
does keep the grip from collapsing so no thimble should be necessary, which
is nice since it is virtually impossible anyway.

John

John Brosnahan  W0UN
24115 WCR 40
La Salle, CO 80645