[TowerTalk] Need Ideas for 2-band Dipole

Bob Patten n4bp@shadow.net
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 15:40:08 -0400 (EDT)

On a fairly small lot, I managed to run a full size inverted vee off my
tower for 160M.  To use it on 80M, I've installed insulators near the
mid-points of each leg.  When I want to use it on 160M now, I simply
install jumpers across the insulators.  I would prefer not to try to
string seperate dipoles for each of the two bands (too much wire in the
air already).
I'm looking for a scheme to bandswitch the dipole from inside the shack.
But, when running power on 80M, the voltage at the ends must be horrendous
requiring switch contacts with very large spacing.
All I've come up with so far is to try to find a couple of porcelin-base
knife switches to mount across the insulators.  This would still require
lowering the ends to get to the switches.
Anyone have any better ideas?  Or a source for knife switches?

Bob Patten, N4BP	n4bp@shadow.net
			http://www.shadow.net/~n4bp/n4bp.htm