[TowerTalk] Was April Fools, now radiating dummy loads

Dale Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:41:12 -0500

Back when I was a Novice, (1959) I was fooling around with my
big-time Globe Chief 90 and a 100w lightbulb as a dummy load.
I had the old BC342 tuned to my (rare=7175 kc. crystal) QRG.
After sending my call a couple of times for the fun of it (funny
how our calls sound so gooooood to ourselves), a ham a half
mile away began calling me.

He said I was 579 at his place (he had a folded dipole up 30 feet
and a really neat HQ-110).

He was skeptical about me transmitting on a lightbulb until I
convinced him to try it.  About an hour later, he was back on
QRG calling me weakly, but on a lightbulb.   Stealth Novices!

Now, I wonder who will be the first DXCC with an MFJ-259?

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u