[TowerTalk] Ham IV rotor disassembly

Bruce Richards wd4ngb@m2.sprynet.com
Wed, 01 Apr 1998 14:05:24 +0100

Do the disasembly in a large box or one of those old wash tubs. This way you will not
have to wonder where the 100 or so ball bearings went. The only problem will be how to
get them back in place . That and the proper orintation of the top and the alignment of
the pot on top of motor is the only hard part. If yours has been up that long, you may
want to send it to one of the rotor repair companys, or Hy-Gain for a complete going
over. I can clearly remember the first one I took appart 20 years ago. The shock of all
those bearings  hitting the floor in the garage and going to places unknown is very well
locked in my mind. GL.....Bruce

Litwins wrote:

> Does anybody out there have any experience taking the upper housing off a
> Ham IV rotor.  I have a unit that was in service about 10 yrs ago when the
> Ham IV was built by CDE.  The unit still wks fine on the bench but was in
> storage outdoors for the 10 yrs I have been inactive.  The thrust brng in the
> top twr section suffered some corrosion damage and I want to check inside the
> rotor as well but am reluctant to disassemble it with the poor instructions
> provided by CDE in their manual.  I just want to check for corrosion damage
> and clean the contacts etc.  Has anybody removed the top section on a Ham IV
> and survived the trip?  What I am looking for is (since the instructions
> seem to be written by a guy who takes 'em apart for a living--not too
> descriptive and neither are the photos) are there any pitfalls like springs boinging
> out or parts falling out that I have to be careful of??  Or is it pretty
> routine?  Help pse?
> steve, k8wk
>
> --
> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

Bruce Richards / WD4NGB (No Good Bum)  (ex HL9JV)
DX Web Page http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wd4ngb
Mirror Site http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/9941
Space A DX  http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/9846
50 Miles North West of Nashville Tn