[TowerTalk] Advice: Beverage Wire

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:01:32 -0500

At 09:04 AM 12/14/98 -0500, Bill Fisher - W4AN wrote:

>I have a need for wire for use with beverages that has the following
>qualities:
>
>1) Easily fixed when broken.  Aluminum electric fence wire is excellent in
>this regard.  No soldering required ever.

I've been disappointed in my aluminum fence wire beverage.  I have had to
repair it several times, probably because it's not 1.1 deer high,
especially in the end sections that taper to ground level.  Each repair
takes an aluminum split nut and a slathering of Noalox, and I'm still
suspicious of the quality of the connections that result.  Given that
aluminum oxide isn't very conductive, I suspect that these connections will
be a source of problems over time.  Already, it seems less efficient than
it did initially.

>2) Stealthy.  Electric fence wire is easily seen from great distances.  I
>need my beverages to be as invisible as possible.
>Thanks for any tips in advance.

The fence wire I got at the local Southern States is quite thin -- I'd
guess #18 or thinner -- and quickly oxidizes to a nice medium gray.  I've
almost garotted myself a couple of times, and I knew the thing was there.
Maybe you've been using something better? ;^}

73,  Pete N4ZR
Loud is good