[TowerTalk] C-31 XR, Assembly, Rivet Tool Slippage and Rivet Alignment

William E. Handy Jr. - K6LF wmhandy@pacificnet.net
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 09:07:59 -0800

Hello All,

I had no rivet tool slippage while assembling my C-3, and I was lubricating
the rivets with noalox!  I use a Stanley model MR100I tool from Home Depot.

If I did have slippage problems though, my first thought about cleaning the
tool would be to squirt some brake or carb cleaner into the grip jaw area of
the tool.

On a slightly different point regarding the rivets on a Force antenna, it is
imperative that all the rivets of a given joint be in their holes as each is
drawn tight.  The instructions make a point of this fact.  Because of the
close tolerances of each drilled hole, the alignment of the holes will be
compromised if you attempt to pull only one rivet tight without the other
two in place acting as alignment pins.  Following this info from the
instruction book allowed me to put my antenna together without a single
problem.

William (Bill) E. Handy Jr. - K6LF

"Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial
fire, called conscience". -George Washington