[TowerTalk] "Tuning up" Vertical top loaded antennas

thompson@mindspring.com thompson@mindspring.com
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 11:24:50 -0400

Tom W8JI pointed out a problem with elevated radials that most don't
consider.

>One thing is for sure, elevated radials are critical systems. They radiate
>and couple quite well into their surroundings no matter how we tune or
>adjust them.

I used a W6BCX MULTEE (right out of the ARRL or W6SAI handbooks) with 4 then
6 elevated radials.  I lost all my 160 antennas in Hurricane Opal in 1995
plus I wanted to test this antenna out for my Island home.  My neighbor
behind went to Home Depot and got a set of yard lights and the end was near
the bush (at the fence between the yards) where I tied off one of the
radials.  Well everytime I keyed the rig the lights turned on about half
power.  I finally took the radial down (it was 12' or so above ground) and
used 5 radials.

My shielded receiving loop acting different too.  So if you put up elevated
radials expect interaction with all nearby antennas.  The best plan would be
to have the 160 vert with elevated radials be in a field by itself like
W7ACD/K8CFU did..or go back to ground radials....its hard to radiate when
the elevation is zero or less!

Dave K4JRB