[TowerTalk] Tower Demolition Site

Gilmer, Mike mgilmer@gnlp.com
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:25:03 -0500

According to the below website, the (now-demolished) R&D tower for this
Omega system was in Forrestport, NY and was just a few miles from me.  I
didn't know what it was at the time (assumed military, of course) but I
had driven along a country backroad to within about 300 feet of the
base.  The road went past the tower, under some of the guys.  That was
one big monster - a thing of beauty :)
I'm curious; the local TV coverage of its demolition was "gee-whiz" but
said little about the uses of the "Omega" system.  Since it was Navy
funded, I assume long-range, low-frequency (submarine?) communications?
Anyone know?

Mike N2MG