[TowerTalk] HOMEBREW TOOL AND PART POUCHES

Mark, N1LO n1lo@hotmail.com
Tue, 04 May 1999 11:47:26 PDT

Greetings TowerTalkers;

I recently found myself looking for a better way to take tools and parts up
the tower and have them available at hand and eye level. It has become so
handy I thought I would pass the idea along.
I found a nice, 10-pocket, suede tool pouch at Wal-Mart. Here's where the
fun starts.
Cut a piece of 1/2" diameter wooden dowel to the same length as the belt
loop in the pouch. Insert the dowel through the belt loop right at the top
and secure this in two places by driving short tacks through the loop from
the back side into the dowel. Next, pinch the loop tight around the dowel
and cut a vertical slit in the leather just below the dowel, at the balance
point. Attach an oval carabiner at this point and orient it such that it
hooks through the leather, around and under the dowel, and the gate faces
away from the front of the pouch.
You can easily clip this pouch onto your harness as you climb, then remove
it and clip it to a horizontal tower brace right at your work position.
Since the back side of the pouch is flat, it fits very nicely at your side
or on the face of the tower. The pockets are distribute across the face of
the pouch, so, unlike one large pouch, you can see what you're reaching for.
I made a second one for parts.

Hope this helps someone,

--...MARK_N1LO...--