[TowerTalk] Galvanized Masts - Necessary?

Roger Borowski k9rb@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 4 May 1999 14:56:25 -0400

Jeff,
Look for an outfit that does hot dip galvanizing in your locale and have it
done....might cost you $50-$100 bucks but will be rust free for your
lifetime and much more eye appealing and neater to handle. Don't forget, the
rust will eventually wash down the to the rotor, rotor plate and the tower
legs too! Ugh! The self applied "Cold Galvanizing" has a lifespan somewhat
better than paint, if the surface is chemically clean before applying, but
it still is nowhere near as durable as a hot dip galvanizing job and will
still allow rust to occur on the inside of the mast, causing similiar
staining problems to everything below!  The cold galv., when scratched,
allows rust to form whereas the hot dip zinc job, self heals scratches too!
I've "been there" both ways and would not ever put up a mast that isn't hot
dip galvanized again!
73, and good luck....You might check with "Texas Towers" as they carry a
good supply of masts in various lengths and wall thicknesses and they are
all hot dipped....
IIX Equipment Ltd., near Chicago,

http://www5.interaccess.com/iixeqpt/ also sells a hot dipped "ladder mast",
which comes in three telescopic sections and has integral climbing steps.
Check his web site above for additional details! It is reasonably priced and
much more
convenient  to work with. I've never heard of one bending and I know of lots
of
guys with multiple big antennaes on it are out there. They've been around
since
the mid to late 70's !  It may be a better solution to your needs and
something you may not have been aware of.
Again....Good luck in your endeavors.  -=Rog-K9RB=-