[TowerTalk] Lexan and element linkage

Dave D'Epagnier DAVED@ctilidar.com
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:02:34 -0600

Lexan is a trademark name for polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is very
durable and literally bullet proof. A friend of mine fired a 44 magnum
into a 1" thick piece at short range and it hardly even made a mark
(cheap thrills huh?).
It's pretty much rf transparent (but I don't know the dielectric
constant or dissipation factor). It's also great for mounting equipment
on towers, and for use as antenna feed point insulators etc., and has
been used at one installation I know of for the last 30 years or so with
very satisfactory results. It can be found at most plastics suppliers.

--Dave
K0QE

	----------
	From:  L. B. Cebik [SMTP:cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu]
	Sent:  Tuesday, October 19, 1999 8:33 PM
	To:  towertalk@contesting.com
	Subject:  [TowerTalk] Lexan and element linkage

	On a home improvement show, I saw/heard reference to the use of
Lexan as a
	window pane material in Florida as a shatter-resistant material
for
	hurricane-prone areas.

	1.  I wonder if this application of the material would have the
good RF
	and physical properties of Lexan sheet in general.

	2.  Is the material readily available--and, if so, through what
sources?

	As a side note following the discussion of holding C3 elements
at a
	constant spacing, I wonder if it would be better (or not) to use
a system
	that pinned the spacer only to the longer/larger element,
letting the
	smaller element slide in a slot or hole.  Locking both elements
to the
	spacer may create a rigid rectangle which would alter the
element
	flexibilities.  However, not sure that this would make a
significant
	difference in element durability for either or both.

	-73-

	LB, W4RNL

	--
	FAQ on WWW: