[TowerTalk] Tall verticals

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sat, 08 Apr 2000 11:31:32 +0000

At 10:52 PM 4/7/00 -0400, DavidC wrote:

>You specified "tall" towers.  What about a 65 foot Rohn 45
>tower with tri-banders at 45 and 70 feet?  Would the side-
>mounted beam problem be as pronounced on that?
>
>I want to load it for 80m and want to make some choices
>about the type of base I use, where and how I side-mount
>antennas and anything else that may impact performance on
>80m.  I have the tower but the pouring of the base has yet
>to be scheduled.

I suspect it is impossible to generalize.  Tom's experience is no doubt
valid, but doesn't necessarily predict what will happen with other
combinations of height and antenna placement.  Your tower with those
antennas on it will presumably act as if it is somewhat longer
electrically, but you're starting out a LOT shorter.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Don't forget to update your entry on the World Contest Station Database,
now at http://www.contesting.com/stationdatabase.htm