[TowerTalk] 1st call

Gene S. gene@aspen-ridge.net
Sat, 05 Aug 2000 07:58:46 -0600

This is an interesting thread.

I have a tower order pending with 1st Call,  first time doing business with
them.

His business practices are spelled out on his web site,  and we discussed
the terms and conditions when we communicated on the telephone, via e-mail,
before - and at order time. Nothing has been hidden, and all questions have
been answered.

It's amazing to me that anyone would ask him to clarify his business
practices on the reflector. The only people he needs to do that with are
his customers,  potential customers, and any legitimate inquiry from the
authorities. I know that everyone here is a potential customer, I would
hope they deal directly with their suppliers when negotiating a
transaction, and understand what they're signing up for, beforehand.
Dropping 10 grand on a tower isn't a trivial transaction, so one would
expect some detailed (written) communications before committing to the order.

I ordered a tower in late May,  the factory sent me a confirmation, with an
August delivery date.  I extended the date to November when my new home
will be finished,  60% down - as indicated on the web site.  1st Call was
clear about delivery dates and down payment. I can't speak for the guy who
posted the complaint, but I knew -  up front -  what the deal was. (not a
special order tower).

1st Call sent me a letter 3 weeks ago which indicated they would be on
vacation in August,  encouraged questions before they departed,  and I got
a phone call at work with the same message.  I think the letter indicated
there would be phone coverage, and a process for dealing with emergencies.

As of 10 days ago (the last time I talked with them), every call I've made
to them was answered immediatly,  returned on the same business day, or the
next morning, even when Joel was traveling.

They provided 7 day turn around with on 70MPH drawings with Colorado "wet
stamp"for the tower / footing..

I'm not sure what better service one can ask for....

>From May - today,  I'd rate them excellent,  they've done everything they
said they would do...

I can't predict the future,  so I don't know where I'll be with them in
November,  but to date, they've been excellent...

We've seen / heard complaints about most every ham radio dealer,  should
they all post their business practices on the reflector??  I think not..
Retail is an interesting business, dealing with hams has to be a challenge.

73,
Gene Spinelli, K5GS
Boulder, CO