[TowerTalk] KT34XA Pre-Raising Checkout?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 23:32:16 EDT

In a message dated 08/05/2000 6:06:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jmaass@columbus.rr.com writes:

> Are there any checks I can do (other than the obvious length
>  measurements) to confirm that things are tuned for the desired
>  band segments?
>
>  For example, if a MFJ-259 is connected while the antenna is sitting
>  2-feet off the ground, will it show any resonances that can be
>  interpreted? (I'm waiting for the balun, so can't check it experimentally
>  yet).
>
>  I'd like to avoid surprises when the crane arrives.

    Ah - good idea. If it's on the ground, the only thing I do is put an
antenna analyzer on it and check to see if it looks like an antenna (i.e.,
has a dip *somewhere*). You really don't care where it dips because it'll be
typically too low due to additional ground capacity. Put the analyzer right
on the feedpoint - that way there's nothing else in the system (particularly
no balun). Then if you put it up and there's a problem, you'll know it's
something else (balun, coax, etc.) rather than the antenna.

    When the crane *does* get there, put a temporary length of coax on the
balun after everything is hooked up and have the crane hoist the antenna into
the air 30 feet or more. This time the antenna will look like it's higher up
on the tower. Scan it with your analyzer, lower it down and make any
resonance adjustments.

Cheers & GL,  Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech