[TowerTalk] Antenna Side Mounting Ubolts

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 17:55:42 -0600

For medium to small antennas, 2 to 4 U bolts on a tower leg
will hold it.  I use 1-1/2 inch U bolts with a thin wall of PVC,
sliced lengthwise, over the leg for protection.  To accomodate
the smaller U bolt in your boom to mast plate, insert one side
into one of the existing holes and use the other side to mark
the spacing for a new hole to be drilled.

This technique has been successful for several years for
both a 3L20 on a 24 ft boom and a 5L10 on a 28 ft boom.
(Successful = survived estimated 80-90 mph tornado winds).

de  Tom  N4KG

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:54:22 EDT W4nf@aol.com writes:

> I just purchased a second F12 C3E and I will be side mounting it on
> my Rohn
> 25G tower (fixed on Europe) 28' below the top (rotating C3E).  The
> C3E came
> with the boom to mast clamp and U bolts to accommodate a 2" mast.  I
> was
> wondering how most people are side mounting their fixed beams to the
> tower.
> I oriented the tower when I poured the concrete so that two of the
> towers
> legs lined up to point towards EU at roughly 45 degrees.  Do people
> use
> smaller u bolts with saddles to fit the Rohn legs diameter, or is
> mounting a
> piece of angle to the tower face a good idea and then using hose
> clamps to
> secure the boom in the angle?  Comments would be appreciated.
> Thanks and 73,
> Jack W4NF
> I'm also looking for a cheap but still good WX0B stackmatch.
>
> --

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.