[TowerTalk] Painting towers; a summary

Richard & Martha Wilder wilder@abs.net
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 08:34:28 -0400 (EDT)

This is a summary of replies relative to this posting:

  I have 10 sections of >OLD< Rohn 45 that I wish to paint
  before erecting.  The galvinizing is really worn and rather
  smooth.  Five section had been painted brown but at least
  50% of the paint has been worn off; very little flaking.  I
  didn't find any rust. What paint is recommended?  I would
  like to do it in one coat. 73, Dick Wilder, k3di@arrl.net

Before I get to the replies, here is a really great idea
submitted by John AB4ET.  He wrote, "I painted my tower with
it using a brush but there is a much faster way. You can get
fluffy surfaced gloves from good paint suppliers. They have
a surface like a paint roller. You just wear them and dip
your hands in the can and run your hands over the metal
surfaces to be painted.  Does the job in a fraction of the
time.  This can of course be used with any coating."

The following are replies recevied relative to the question.
I've edited them somewhat.

From: John AB4ET <jweatherley@tems.com>
The best coating that I have found so far is ZRC Cold
Galvanizing compound. Its Made by the ZRC company and you
can check out all the details at www.zrc.com They have
distributors around the country.  It is used on Water
towers, oil rigs, bridges, ships hulls and various US govt.
depts including the military.  ZRC is not cheap. It runs
about 100 dollars a gallon.

From: Stephen Miller N8SM <stevemiller@raytheon.com>
Based on recommendations made in old opted for a cold
galvanize paint made by ZRC which has over 90% Zinc content
after drying. Not cheap, but good stuff....

From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
There is a primer (Benjamin Moore?) specifically made for
application over galvanized metal.  I painted old Rohn 25 5
years ago with it, followed by a coat of latex industrial
paint (dark grey), and it is holding up beautifully.

From: Bruce Burnette <K5PX@arrl.net>
You can purchase "cold galvanizing paint" from your local
wielding supply house. I know that in comes in spray cans,
don't know about quarts and/or gallons, you will have to
ask. This stuff works great.

From: Tom Delker <k1ky@bellsouth.net>
I am using an Alkalyd based paint from Porter Paints.  They
claim it is used for equipment/metal. Pre-preparation with
Galvaprep-5, then I hit any rusted areas with a
rust-converting inhibitor, then paint with 1-2 coats.  no
long-term results yet other than 1 year and all looks good.
Paint can be colored to your specs.   Before I paint, I
rinse with a 25% Vinegar/ 75% water solution and wipe clean/dry.

From: Ed-W4EP <ed@privette.com>
I would do a bit of checking around to see if you might be
able to have the sections chemically stripped and hot
dipped. I checked on it in Tampa several years ago and was
surprised at how relatively inexpensive it was. Just a
thought.

From: Mark <KI7WX@aol.com>
Please do summarize.  I'd like to repaint my 55G prior to
placing it in the air in a few weeks.

  Dick's lifetime address is k3di@arrl.net