[TowerTalk] Concrete; How to mix on site?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:19:14 EDT

In a message dated 8/9/00 5:52:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time, wilder@abs.net
writes:

> My plan is to mix one yard of concrete on site using materials
>  found on site except hauling in the Portland Cement.  The main
>  reason for not hauling in ready-mix is to use  gravel and sand
>  remaining from other building projects.  The secondary reason
>  is hauling 340 pounds of Portland 400 feet across rugged land
>  is much easier than 2700 pounds of mix.  I'll rent the smallest
>  mixer I can find.  (Yes, it's for a tower.  You knew that.)

    Hmm. If it was my project, I'd run the mixer nearer the house, driveway,
etc. where the materials are and then rent one of those gas-driven
wheelbarrows to get the concrete to the hole.

    I also wouldn't come up with my own recipe for the concrete without a LOT
of thought and knowledge. Maybe you could call up your local concrete company
and ask them what they'd suggest; they can be helpful. Maybe I'm being too
cautious.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech