[TowerTalk] East-West beverage

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 13:25:23 -0600

Hi Dale,

I'm not sure what will happen regarding interaction from the
power lines.  A simple thing to try is a 3/2 WL centerfed
(200 ft each side of center for 80M). Of course this is for a single
band only.  It should look like around 100 ohms at the middle.
Feed with 75 Ohm cable and don't worry about the small mismatch.
No special matching transformers needed. No ground rod needed.
Other odd multiples of a 1/2 WL can also be used if you have the
room.  400 to 600 ft works very well on 80 and 40M.

I have a pair of 525 ft bi-directional receiving antennas at
30 / 210 degrees and 150 / 330 degrees that just fit on my property.
To the SSE it is as good as my old 400ft  Beverage.  To JA
there is a 4 to 6 dB advantage.  Lack of F/B does not seem
to be a problem.  (None of my Beverages are terminated
but they hear MUCH better than my transmit antennas
most of the time).

Tom  N4KG

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 "Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org> writes:

> The best I can do right now is put up one beverage running along the
> back
> fences of the neighborhood (we all back on a big overgrown field,
> but there
> is construction going on out there and will eventually be closing in
> on our
> backyards.).  Another downside is that there are 14/28/57kv(??)
> power lines
> running on telephone poles along that same series of back fences.
>
> Would it even be worth trying out a beverage in such a situation?
>
> Would a single beverage, made switchable east-west/west-east, be
> helpful
> over just using the transmitting antenna (a 80m 1/4=wave
> half-sloper)?
>
> Dale L. Martin, KG5U
> kg5u@hal-pc.org
> http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u