[TowerTalk] Log Periodics & 2 Element Beams--Stacked

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 16:16:15 EST

In a message dated 12/9/00 1:02:43 PM Pacific Standard Time, K7GCO writes:

<< In a message dated 12/9/00 8:42:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
aa4nu@ix.netcom.com writes:
 <<
  >I know of no one stacking 2 element beams.  K7GCO

  F-12 certainly seems to have had success with their C3 and related models.
  The F-12 basic C3 series are 2 element per band interlaced yogis ...
  Many contest stations have found that a 2x stack of 2 element 40m
  yogis offer more performance options ... than a single 3 element yagi.
  So perhaps there's more "2 elements beams" in use today than in years
  before, and in stacks at that ... ?

  73 Billy AA4NU

 Billy: Thanks for the input.  I had one other tell of 2/2/2.  I was thinking
of 2 element quads and typed beams.  I also had in mind one banders only as
multi-band 2 element beams have other elements that are longer that could
enter into a "balanced interference" if the spacing is optimized for the
middle frequency.  I'll model this and check it out.  I knew I could find and
bring previous or current installations to light.  I'm curious as to the
suggested spacing and by whom.  Have you seen patterns, can you switch
between them and what have you found?  Have you had higher gain beams stacked
and been able to select either for comparisons?  I've pointed out before that
the lower the gain of the beam the closer the spacing for the cleanest
pattern without ears.  Further due to the wider vertical patterns and closer
spacing, they interfere some with each other when used individually.

 I had 2-3 element vertically polarized quads stacked and could select either
or both in the shack with my matching and selection system.  Neither was
head-on individually but head on together.  The mfg initially used too wide a
spacing and it had 2 ears.  I spaced them closer 1' and got a nice clean
pattern.  It's also shows this in Eznec very clearly and yet those who have
done neither test deny this is happening for reasons--best known to them.
When used vertically polarized on a horizontal boom, this is a good way to
compare 2 beams on "distant repeaters" (Canada) with the least tower
interference.  I've had 2 higher gain beams with wider spacing still head on
when selected individually.  In Puget Sound there are too many reflections
for a good pattern test using close repeaters.

 One of my goals is to have the top beam tuned for max gain and the bottom
for best F/B to increase the performance difference between.  There are many
advantages being able to select a beam of high F/B for receive only or
transmit or both.  I have a 3 element 10M yagi tuned for absolute max gain of
10 dBi on a .35 WL boom with 8 dB F/B, narrow band width and 6 ohms in the
center of the DE.  I don't feed it there but at the 50 ohm point in a sort of
a sneaky way with no RF spill over.  I have a way to broadband it now.  This
is a killer beam-both ways.  It blows them away on 10M and it's so nice to
have a beam with high F/B to select on receive now with the bands really
open.  A few years ago when there were few signals on the air there was
rarely anyone on the back so lack of F/B was not a problem.  When bands are
closing there are seldom signals on the back so it's a very useful design
I've found.  It tends to keep the frequency open also.  It's a very "quiet
beam on the back" with low F/B in another sort of way) and I'm not talking
about noise.  There is something new in beam techniques every once in a
while.

 When beams are stacked vertically there is far more advantage to select the
upper and lower beam individually with my simple switching harness that also
gives additional bandwidth when both are used.  There is less advantage the
lower the gain of the beams as they need progressively closer spacing.  The
spacing widens noticeably as the number of elements or gain increases if
properly spaced.  Anyone else with 2 element one band beam (only) stacking
experience?   K7GCO

 In a message dated 12/9/00 9:42:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,