[TowerTalk] Log Periodics & 2 Element Beams

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 16:20:21 EST

In a message dated 12/9/00 12:26:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
n4zr@contesting.com writes:
<<
 At 10:41 AM 12/9/00 -0600, Billy Cox wrote:
 >>I know of no one stacking 2 element beams.  K7GCO
 >
 >F-12 certainly seems to have had success with their C3 and related models
 >The F-12 basic C3 series are 2 element per band interlaced yagis ...
 >
 >Many contest stations have found that a 2x stack of 2 element 40m
 >yagis offer more performance options ... than a single 3 element yagi.
 >
 >So perhaps there's more "2 elements beams" in use today than in years
 >before,  and in stacks at that ... ?

 Ken's not right about this -- N7ML has a 6-high (I think it's 6) C-3 stack,
 with 2 active elements per band.  2-high C-3 stacks like mine are quite
 common, although to be fair mine have been converted to C-3Es, with 3
 active elements on 10.  There are also a number of 3-highs using a C-4XL on
 top and c-3s below.

 73, Pete N4ZR

Pete:  You are right and I know all about that installation.  I didn't make
it clear that I was referring to one band 2 element beams (actually quads).
They interfere with each other more than yag's at the same spacing when used
individually.  He used a compromise spacing for the tribanders.  Too wide for
10M and too close for 20M and also interference when used individually on the
low band.  It works but it's not optimized on all bands.  My interest is in
the cleanest installation from what I have seen in Eznec.  Any how this is
all interesting.  Anyone with more inputs?  Have I made my original
intentions clear?  See my previous post a few minutes ago.  Perhaps all this
can start a big trend of stacked 2 element beams--with the cleanest vertical
patterns.  Lets get some lawyers in this and it can go on forever.  But who
will pay for it?  K7GCO