[TowerTalk] Clarification>. Bias Tees de K0FF

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 08:15:48 -0500

Hi George,

> Hi Tom, the "pair of paralleled .01's" are in the series arm. On the caps
> specified, they are used in 8kW / 1.5-50 MHz rated lightning protectors as
> the series arm.

OK. You typed series instead of mentioning parallel, that makes
more sense and a pair of .01's are probably good enough if they
can handle the current.

But heck, we all do stuff like that. I called two .01's in parallel 9
ohms Xc, when it is really 4.5!

Current is the real issue, not voltage, for the capacitors. Anything
over .02uF is probably enough.

Voltage is the issue for the choke (or consider the ESR and the RF
current).

 > > >  Alan, if you want to make a high power "bias tee" for your
> > >  application, you can use a pair of .01 at 3kV Z5U disc capacitors in
> > >  series, with
> >
> > I'm not sure you mean to put the caps in series. That would be
> > .005 uF. On 160 meters, it would be almost 18 ohms Xc, and give
> > an SWR of 1.42:1
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com