[TowerTalk] Telescoping Mast

M. Whiteman mmajsw@candw.ky
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 21:27:23 -0500

First of all, hello to everyone on the list. I have been learning a lot by just
observing those more knowledgeable and finally I can contribute something.
I inherited a  48' foot telescoping tower of unknown make from an older ham and
had the same problem with a broken cable. I took a look at a MA-40 to understand
how to replace my cable. What I did was take the tower down and lay it flat on
the ground. At the top of the first section, there was a collar on the main pipe
that was held in by a bolt. I removed the bolt and tapped the collar off (it was
on firmly). This allowed me to slide out the inner section.  At the bottom of the
inner section was a clamp and a welded eyelet that the cable was clamped to.
I replaced the cable with a stainless steel one of the same diameter and
thoroughly coated the bottom of the inner pipe with LPS rust preventative inside
and out. Stainless steel clamps were also used. I drilled a couple of 3/4 "
diameter holes in the bottom of the pipe to allow any water that would get into
the top of the inner section to drain out and reduce rusting. Replace the inner
section making sure that the cable lines up from the bottom of the inner pipe to
the pulley at the top of the main pipe.
If you notice any substantial pitting on the tubes, a machine shop can shorten
them for you or cut out and replace the rusted pieces. If the cable has rusted
through, anything can happen to the bottom of the tubes where water collects.
The three section just involves 2 collars, 2 pulleys and 3 pipes with the cable
bolted to the bottom of the smallest tube. Of course, the cable is longer. When
purchasing the cable, get about 5' more than the old one. For some reason, when I
got my new cable that was the same length than the old on,I found it to be 2 feet
too short. Don't know why. Bolt the collar back on and try it on the ground
before you install it to make sure everything works.
I hope that this helps.

Regards
Mike ZF1-MW, VE3-WJM