[TowerTalk] A "good deal"

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:01:02 EST

In a message dated 28.01.00 06:22:33 Pacific Standard Time,
DAVED@ctilidar.com writes:

<<
    ----------
    From:  K7GCO@aol.com [SMTP:K7GCO@aol.com]
    Sent:  Friday, January 28, 2000 2:59 AM
    To:  towertalk@contesting.com
    Subject:  Re: [TowerTalk] A "good deal"

    <snip>
    The Rai-Beam 2 element yagi and a properly designed 2 element quad
 are what I call the "K7GCO
     New Standard of Beam Performance". To equal or beat them, you have
     go to a boom 2-3 times longer and 2-3 more elements to justify the
     cost which starts to rise exponentially.  The dB or 2 you might get
 will
    cost you about $1-5000 or more depending on the band. It's a lot of
 "dB's of $$$"

    huh?
    A well designed 2 element monoband beam (BY WHOM?)has a gain of about 4
to 5
 dBd in free space, with decent F/B. This performance can be obtained by the
 home builder without much problem. I'm sure it can also be obtained by
 Chuck's designs but he's not going to do much if any better.

    If another element is added, one can get 5-6 dBd of free space gain.

    The notion that "To equal or beat them, you have to
     go to a boom 2-3 times longer and 2-3 more elements to justify the
     cost which starts to rise exponentially" is ridiculous. (TRY IT ON 40M)

    When outrageous and ridiculous claims are made it lowers the quality
 of this reflector. Kind of makes me want to QRT.
    --Dave
    --K0QE
****DAVE
         I SUGGEST YOU LEARN HOW TO USE EZNEC AND EVALUATE THE GAINS ABOUT
1000 ANTENNAS IN IT AND SEE WHAT YOU GET.  IF YOU CAN SHOW ME THE SPECS FOR
ANY ANTENNA IN THE ANTENNA KINGDOM THAT WILL BEAT A .12 WL BOOM 2 ELEMENT
QUAD OR A .1 WL BOOM RAI BEAM FOR OVER ALL PATTERN, BANDWIDTH, GAIN F/B ON
AND OF THE SAME BOOM LENGTH OR EVEN .25 WL THAT JUSTIFIES IT'S PURCHASE ON 20
OR 40M, I'LL BUY IT AND ONE FOR YOU ALSO.
          WHEN UNJUST CRITICISMS ARE MADE WITHOUT OFFERING THE PROOF, IT ALSO
LOWERS THE QUALITY OF THE REFLECTOR.  I HAVE COMPARED IN EZNEC AND USED THEM
ALL.  IT'S AN OPINION BASED ON MY OBSERVATIONS--SO WHAT?  REFLECTORS PROVIDE
A GREAT MEDIUM FOR THEM.
K7GCO