[TowerTalk] My first tower

Jim Idelson k1ir@designet.com
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 07:22:41 -0400

Jason,

You are doing a great job planning your first tower. Asking all the right
questions. Last weekend, I helped to install a system somewhat like what you
are proposing. We went with 30 feet of Rohn 25 with a house bracket at about 15
feet. The antenna we erected in this situation was a Force 12 C3E. We used a
long, strong mast - about 20 feet. The C3E is about 6 feet above the top of the
tower, and the 2 meter Diamond F-22A vertical is 6 feet above that. The rotator
is located at the 20-foot level. The antennas are incredibly solid on that
support . . . and both are performing just beautifully.

My leaning is to try to get you to upgrade the antenna you are planning to
install to the C3E. Many have reported that the C3E is a much, much better
performer for the additional $100. But be conservative about the tower. Stick
with 30 feet of Rohn 25 or try to swing the Rohn 45 at 40 feet. Especially if
you are planning to do your own tower and antenna maintenance work, you should
be extra conservative about the entire installation. That way your first
experiences on a tower will be very enjoyable.

73,

Jim K1IR