[TowerTalk] perspective

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 20:29:21 +0000

At 10:47 AM 7/19/00 -0700, michael watts wrote:

>The gist of your analysis seems on track to me.  But
>it understates the case.  The middle of the bell curve
>of "hams vs erp" or "hams vs basic signal strength at
>the contest site" is at quite a low erp and quite a
>low signal strength.  So a few more db uncovers a LOT
>of additional stations to work.  So the effect on
>score is non-linear.

ahhh...an important further contribution to the "unified field dtrength
theory (patent pending...)"

Seriously, I think this is probably important.  Particularly in Europe, the
ratio between the number of well-equipped stations and the rest is probably
pretty low, so as Mike says, the incremental benefit of being a dB louder
may be greater than I had suggested.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at