[TowerTalk] perspective

wa4dou@juno.com wa4dou@juno.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:38:14 -0400

Yuri,
  A db is a db whether you're talking about a signal that is S-9+ or if
you're talking about a signal in the noise. The apparent change is no
different at either end of the scale. I db rarely if ever makes a signal
readable if it was not so before. 1 db NEVER produces a 5 db change at
the other end. 73 Roy WA4DOU

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:31:40 EDT K3BU@aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 7/19/2000 4:26:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> w8ji@contesting.com writes:
>
> > When
> >  receiving at HF, gain doesn't matter. The antenna pattern and the
>
> >  direction of unwanted and wanted signals is all that matters.
>

> Not true. It matters!
> I had many instances when Razors were hearing stuff when others
> couldn't make
> a whisper out of signals. Clean pattern helps S/N and QRM, but if
> there ain't
> no signal brought by antenna, there ain't no amplifier that can
> amplify it.
>
> One more monkey wrench into philosophy that paths are reciprocal and
> can be
> nicely calculated (N6BT touches up on it in July QST p. 48): 1 or 3
> dB can
> make a difference in getting the signal into the layer or duct and
> propagating it. Sometimes 1 dB can demonstrate itself as 5 or more
> dB at the
> other end. It ain't exactly linear. (I know about RX S-meters being
> all over.)
>
> Those with stacks try switching them and compare results on RX and
> TX. You
> might be surprised how much difference there is between RX and TX
> signal
> reports, I found more like 60% disagreement.
>
> So much fun, so few antennas!
> or
> Contester will never have enough antennas.
>
> Yuri, K3BU
>
> --

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.