[TowerTalk] Tower Install on rooftop!

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:38:10 EDT

In a message dated 07/26/2000 10:39:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ispinfo@yahoo.com writes:

> We are installing a tower on our rooftop. A Rohn 25G
>  60' guyed tower. Here is a link to a web page I
>  through together. Will you guys take a look and give
>  me all the details on what NOT to do and to do?? That
>  would help make my life alot easier when this goes up!

    Well, this is done a lot but obviously more care needs to be exercised
than for a ground mounted tower.

    Another poster, AC4CZ, made some very good points about engineering and
professional installation which I totally agree with. Since it looks like the
base will go on a bearing wall, that looks pretty straightforward. You can
use a flat plate and drill holes into the top of the wall for anchor bolts.
Use epoxy or expansion bolts to anchor the bolts.

    You can probably use through bolts on the anchors using a backing plate
on the outside of the wall. Use of an engineer and professional installers
will insure longterm reliability as well as a safe installation.

    AC4CZ was installing microwave dishes which can put some horrendous loads
on their tower or roof mounts so his use of the pros was mandatory. With a
little load on 25G, the forces are significantly lower.

    I don't know where you're located or what you're proposing to install on
the tower so can't comment on the windspeed/windload question.

    Other than that, just do what the factory says and you'll probably be
just fine. BTW your link to bigger pictures didn't work.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech