[TowerTalk] Unknown ex USCG tower

Pat Barthelow aa6eg@hh.tmx.com
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 19:08:04 -0700 (PDT)

6/14
Hi Folks, and nice to be back on the TT reflector!

We at N6IJ obtained a surplus antenna from a contractor who dismantled it
from the Local US Coast Guard Station in Monterey.  I am trying to
identify it's manufacturer, and model number.
	The antenna looks like a tower, but appears to never had to
support any top loads.  It is really exotic stuff, looks expensive.
Here are the particulars:

10 ft sections, anodized aluminum, straw color
Triangular, about 9" corner to corner
Extremely light, each section probably under 10 pounds
One side has horizontal "steps" for climbing
Other sides have corner verticals, and diagonal straps
All aluminum is formed sheet aluminum rails, notable for sharp
edges...definitely a wear gloves project
Each section has aluminum angle horizontal base straps punched for bolts
The sections bolt together using short bolts and nuts, placed 2 in each
side's bottom horizontal rail, mating to the next section's top rail.
The tower was 90 ft tall, and mounted on a massive conical
ceramic insulator-base.
I suspect it was a standard issue tuned HF vertical radiator for US Coast
Guard Coastal communications.
It used stainless steel guys, with frequently spaced strain insulators
(about every 2 ft) which were attached using copper nicopress swages at
each insulator junction.
It was guyed in 3 places.

Any ideas on who this tower is made by, or model number?

Maybe Andrew?

73, DX, de
Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ;
aa6eg@hh.tmx.com;n6ij@hotmail.com