[TowerTalk] Antenna Grease--Deficiencies and Remedies.

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 18:58:43 EDT

In a message dated 06/24/2000 9:35:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time, K7GCO@aol.com
writes:

> Penatrox gets hard and has the wrong particles in it for what ever value
they
>  might have.

      Any antioxidant like Penetrox is supposed to be sparingly and not
glopped onto a joint. I don't have any longterm experience that shows that it
dries out making the joint hard to take apart. It might but I don't have any
direct experience.

     Yes, Penetrox is a commercial product manufactured by Burndy Electrical
who makes a lot of commercial electrical supplies.

     It really doesn't matter what the particles are. They are held in
suspension in a neutral vehicle material so they don't come into contact with
oxygen or water. Oxidation relates to a a single material that deteriorates
in the presence of oxygen; i.e. iron oxide, aluminum oxide, etc. If there is
no oxygen present, there is no oxidation.

     When you have two dissimilar metals in contact, you have to have an
electolyte for the chemical process to take place. Typically it's a salt or
other compound (like zinc) dissolved in water that makes the solution
conductive. In the absence of an electolyte, you don't have dissimilar metal
corrosion.

> Penatrox was designed for twisted copper wires in the open where
>  the area of conduction is full length carrying 60 cycles.

     I think a conductor is a conductor and an electrical connection is an
electrical connection. Other manufacturers of commercial electrical products
like Thomas & Betts, GB Electrical and Ideal Industries have antioxidants of
their own recipe. They all function the same.

>  The Particles help there but why weren't they particles of copper?

      Some use copper and some use zinc. As long as it's rated for the
materials I'm using, copper or aluminum, I don't really care which one I use.
I suspect over time that they all dry out.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC