[TowerTalk] TB3

Bill Aycock baycock@HIWAAY.NET
Mon, 06 Mar 2000 13:06:44 -0600

Val, (and Steve) - at the risk of stepping on some toes- read carefully:

The Rohn TB3 is NOT designed for thrust, and is a poor bearing. The design
is lousy.

Anyone who uses steel balls in an Aluminum race, in an application where
repetitive and vibrating loads are expected is not an Engineer worthy of
the name. My copy of this "bearing" has deep pits where the balls peened
into the soft Aluminum. This was apparently the result of being left in one
position for a while. This is an expected service exposure.
My solution was to take the balls out, and let the races be used as a
centering device only. It works for me. and can still be used to hold the
shaft up in case of rotor work.

Bill- W4BSG (An Engineer, and proud of it)

At 01:02 PM 03/06/2000 EST, you wrote:

>Steve:
>
>I have heard the praises of the Rohn TB-3 for years from other esteemed
tower
>experts such as you as well! What is so great about it over other bearings?
  Perhaps the TB-3 is a candidate - if
>it has a grease fitting ??
>
>Steve, as Rohn is a tower manufacturer,  I would imagine that one of the
>"biggie bearing companies" manufacturers the TB-3 for Rohn.
>
>Your thoughts are appreciated --
>
>Regards,
>
>Val Erwin
>W5PUT