[TowerTalk] Irrigation Tube Vertical/4 Square?

Tod-ID tao@skypoint.com
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 13:56:14 -0700

>-Where would I be able to get the irrigation tubing (QTH is Central MD).

I suggest that you  take a trip to eastern Idaho (near my second QTH). It
might be best to bring your flatbed truck rather than your camper since the
irrigation tubing around here seems to come "standard" in 20, 30 and 40 foot
lengths (4, 6, 8 and 10 inches in diameter) . When I checked at the
irrigation sales places they stated they were able to provide couplings
and/or flanges for the ends. so the sections could be mated. One person (or
two if you are feeling 'puny') can raise a single section from horizontal to
vertical, but keeping it vertical takes a bit of juggling and guying.
Raising several sections will take some planning, but will it be more a
challenge to keep the tube from buckling than a matter of having lots of
strength. I think I might be tempted to rent a cherry-picker and then hoist
one section at a time while guying the whole thing. (In the end I simply
acquired a pair of HyTowers -  no guying needed)

I suspect that there are commercial folks closer to you (even Denver is
closer to you than Idaho) and eastern Colorado and western Kansas and
Nebraska do a fair amount of irrigating. You can get more details from that
area.

In the end you should look carefully at the improvement between say a
HyTower and the ON4UN full size vertical. It may be that you can make a
psychological adjustment easier than the physical installation.

Good luck and if you do put up an irrigation tubing vertical please take
pictures and send a URL to the reflector so we can see how to do it.

73,

Tod, KØTO