[TowerTalk] winch brake

WA2BPE wa2bpe@exotrope.net
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 01:06:04 -0500

The "best" winch brake, IMHO, is a worm drive gear winch.  They (usually)
have a much higher mechanical advantage than a simple two spur gear
setup, they have "infinite' control, and they can't rotate unless they
break.  The price you pay for this is speed; they are s-l-o-w!   I bought
a very nice manually operated one (reasonably priced) last year from
McMaster-Carr.  Whether it can be adapted to your specific use is a
totally separate question.

73,

Tom - WA2BPE