[TowerTalk] Pop rivet technique

Dave D'Epagnier DAVED@ctilidar.com
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 08:49:41 -0700

Mark, excellent advice. I will cool the elements, draw slowly on the rivets,
and quickly on the beer.

--Dave
K0QE

	----------
	From:  Mark . [SMTP:n1lo@hotmail.com]
	Sent:  Thursday, March 16, 2000 8:30 AM
	To:  towertalk@contesting.com
	Subject:  [TowerTalk] Pop rivet technique

	Greetings Gang,
	I have a small tidbit to share about pop rivets. I have noticed that
a small
	modification of the technique that typically results in tighter
joints:

	Pull them SLOWLY until they pop.

	What you are doing is expanding and flaring the inside of the rivet
as the
	mandrel head is pulled through it. This forces the rivet's metal to
flow,
	squeeze the joint shut, and in the process, the rivet material
actually
	becomes stronger from 'work hardening'. This is a similar effect to
how a
	black smith can make a metal harder by hammering on it to make it
flow into
	shape.

	If you pull the rivet too fast, you may pop the head before the
rivet is
	fully expanded and before the metal has finished creeping.

	Also, upon reading the neat ideas about assembling joints at cooler
temps,
	it occured to me that a pitcher of ice water would serve nicely to
cool the
	joint (and yourself) in hot weather prior to popping the rivets.
	Nothing like a cool pop in summer, eh? I guess you could use beer,
too, but
	if would be a waste on the aluminum, although still effective! :~D

	--...MARK_N1LO...--