[TowerTalk] Yagis and Rivets

Curtis, David B david.b.curtis@intel.com
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:26:28 -0800

The issue is not structural failure of the rivet.  The issue is that the
surrounding material is soft, so the rivet works the hole larger.
-n6nz

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Smith [mailto:n4zr@contesting.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2000 10:43 AM
To: Curtis, David B
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Yagis and Rivets

At 10:29 AM 3/16/2000 -0800, you wrote:

>The real question is whether the forces on the rivets are tension or shear.

>Rivets in tension -> good.
>Rivets in shear -> bad.
>
>Rivets in antenna elements are in shear. Aluminum is soft. The holes might
>expanding over time.

If the shear forces come anywhere near the capacity of the rivets.  In this
case, I'd think vibration and the weight of the "further out" element tubes
would be the main source, and that's not very much compared with the
capability of 2-3 rivets, especially ones of the solid-core variety.

73,  Pete N4ZR

Don't forget to update your entry in the World Contest Station Database
http://206.102.70.3/search.htm