[TowerTalk] Cellular sites

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 09:33:05 -0400

Hi Ron,

> The area near my pond (where I plan the 160M array) showed 38 mS/M, while
> the area at the highest point on my property read 27 mS/M. The cre
> indicated this was VERY high for this region of the country (Jackson
> County Minnesota).

At what frequency? Soil conductivity normally varies quite a bit with
frequency.

I suspect they are measuring at low frequencies, to get an idea
about lightning protection, rather than at amateur radio frequencies.

We certainly know they care less about ground conductivity at
cellular frequencies, since there is almost no field directly below
the antennas.

My soil measures very good at dc, well over 50 mS/m, but is down
around  10 mS/m at 1.2 MHz.

> Anyone had any dealings with cell sites? I asked if they would allow me to
> put antennas on the tower. Crew foreman said that was something to take up
> with the engineering section.

They have been known, on occasion, to allow the owner of the site
to hang something off the tower below their antennas...but they
generally don't like the idea of random Ham antennas hung by rope
on their tower. As a general rule, cell towers are not that tall. (In
rural areas they are higher than in urban areas, because they want
the cell to extend further) 150 feet or so is pretty tall for a cell tower.

I'd let them in for the revenue, but not for the tower.

> Again, thanks in advance.
>
> Ron, KA9ALC
>

> --
> Submissions:              towertalk@contesting.com Administrative