[TowerTalk] Cellular sites

Bob Lovell pizzabob@cookeville.total-web.net
Thu, 25 May 2000 10:19:33 -0500

> Anyone had any dealings with cell sites? I asked if they would allow me to
> put antennas on the tower. Crew foreman said that was something to take up
> with the engineering section.

Hi, Ron --

I have two tower companies leasing small areas of my property about
200'-300' from my house, ground elevated about 15' higher.  One pays
$350/mo., the other $450.  I understand that lease rentals are much higher
in more populated areas and in states such as CA or NY.  But for rural TN,
this is about average.

I also own a 200' (soon to be 230') Rohn 55 for all our amateur stuff, and
lease space on that tower to several cell companies, a government agency,
highway company and Christian radio station.  I receive more income from
that than from the two ground leases!

In one of the cell tower leases, I managed to get a clause that allows me to
erect a ham antenna at the 200' level, and a small building at the base of
the tower.  As the tower company has changed hands once or twice since the
original lease negotiation, I am not sure if the current owners even know
that provision is in the lease.  (They may be in for a shock when I get
around to "exercising the option"!)  Also, I asked for and received a
provision that they and their tenants will repair any damage they do to my
2000' asphalt driveway that runs up my hill from the street.  (They have
torn it up with a large crane and resurfaced it once, already.)

In exchange for the rent income, you give up a measure of privacy and
control of your property, since the tower companies and all of their tenants
will need 24/7 access.  There will be a construction mess to deal with,
noise, etc.  You will be committing yourself for 25-35 years or longer, as
they will need time to recover their investment and make a profit, as well.

I obviously was willing to make that sacrifice as I love towers and have no
problem with three together on my hill.  Half my friends think it's cool and
the other half think I'm crazy.  I think it's cool.

One last thought -- don't push the ham tower space issue too much.  One guy
in my area kept insisting on the right to put an antenna on a cellular
tower, and the company rep finally said "we'll get back to you".  Next thing
he knew, it went up on his neighbor's property and the neighbor got his $400
per month.

Good luck. . .

Bob  KK4TD