[TowerTalk] 5 db required to see?

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Thu, 25 May 2000 10:11:45 -0400

On 5/24/00 10:16 PM, Pete Smith at n4zr@contesting.com wrote:

>Over 48 hours, and a thousand
>contacts or so, it is inevitable that the 1-dB advantage will result in a
>few QSOs made that would not have been, otherwise.

This assumes that the operater's skill is sufficient to take advantage of
the 1 dB difference.

It's certainly possible to have antennas that work far better than the
operator's skill. Witness all of the tribander / wires stations at WRTC
who turned in tremendous scores with highly skilled operators.

Another aspect may come into play. It's conceivable that a modestly
skilled operator using a not-to-directional antenna, and unfamiliar with
all the nuances of propagation could capture more multipliers by chance
than the same operator with a very directional antenna.

I'm of the opinion that operator skill is a bigger factor in producing
scores than antennas.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales