[TowerTalk] Guys:

Barry Kirkwood bjk@ihug.co.nz
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 22:26:42 +1300

Am in the process of erecting a triangualr tubular steel lattice tower.
Believe it was originally manufactured by Samson in Canada.
Uses 1 1/4 in tubular ? 16g legs at 15in centres in 10ft sections.
I have it mounted in a well reinforced concrete slab approx 6 x 6 x 2 (deep)
It will carry Force 12 C4SXL at 50ft.
Site is on top of a cliff 300 ft ASL and is classed as high wind zone by
local standards. Last storm of cyclonic force here was in 1936 (ie freak,
not seasonal). Highest wind experienced here in last 5yrs measured 90mph in
Auckland City, would have been significantly higher here at ZL1DD.
My unprofessional ( freshman physics) calculation and eyeballing
manufacturer's recommendations for similar applications indicates that this
would be at best marginal as a self-supporting structure and intention is to
guy.
Three guys can be fitted to site with all guy anchors approximating to 80-
100% height of structure (50ft) radius from tower.
Anchor design, turnbuckles etc in line with good practice as cited by Rohn
et al.
I can fit two a sets of guys, but note that US manufacturers catalogues
generally  advise but one set needed for towers of order of 40-50ft.
Available guy material is 3/16 stranded which the supplier assures meets
international standards for guy material.
Question: Should I run with a single set of guys?
I do not require worked analysis, looking for reports based on experience
with similar structures.
73 and thanks for your time,

end
Barry Kirkwood  ZL1DD