[TowerTalk] Guys:

Bob Otto Bob Otto <N8NGA@one.net>
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 10:39:06 -0500

Hello Barry,

I'm hoping you get some input from some of the "professional" tower
guys here.  I will throw this is for you though.

A)  After putting up three freestanding tower applications, and
helping on many more, I have not seen a single free standing tower
base that is only 2' deep.  The base you describe sounds more like the
base for a guyed tower.

B)  Guyed towers are designed differently than freestanding as the
loads act significantly different.  Taking a free standing tower and
guying it isn't necessarily a good thing to do.

I would strongly urge you to either contact the original manufacturer
of the tower for information, or if that isn't possible, contact a
engineer and ask him/her to do an analysis for you to tell you exactly
what can be done with your specific tower.  I know this costs MONEY,
but better to invest now.....than pick up the pieces later when you
have that nice beam up and the tower comes down!

73 from.......

Bob Otto
N8NGA@one.net
Cincinnati, Ohio

DXCC 10M         ** DX is !! **        WAS 10M
       There is a very fine line between
         "HOBBY" and "MENTAL ILLNESS"
When trouble arises and things look really bad,
there is always one individual who perceives a
solution and is willing to take command.
      VERY OFTEN THAT PERSON IS CRAZY!