[Towertalk] TH6, TA33/34, MA770 MDP

Lee Buller k0wa@swbell.net
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 20:36:14 -0600

At 07:57 AM 2/27/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Is there wisdom to be shared regarding a TH6?  I'm planning on
>putting together an old TH6, and would appreciate any constructive
>input.  Perhaps balun, tuning, and dimensions to achieve the best
>Front-to-Back, for both the CW & SSB portions of the band.

I have a TH6DXX up for the last four years after I refurbished the
antenna.  Here is what I did.

New caps and end traps.
Tacked them on with a little hot glue as well (two points of hot glue)
Threw away the BN86 Balun.
Purchased the Balun from Radio Works (4 KW job)
Attached the Balun with some hose clamps.  Worked Perfectly.
Replaced all hardware with Stainless Steel (you can get again from MFJ-Hygain)
Cleaned an polished all connectors (used Dremel Tool, Steel Wool, and fine
sand paper)
Used Noalox.
Set the beam up in the back yard and go everything verticle and straight.
         Then I drilled a hole in each element to boom clamp and screw in a
self-tapping screw so there is a good connection and the element won't slid
around when it is being lifted into place.
Replaced the truss cable and turnbuckle as well.
Measured three times for low phone operation.  (Low phone gets you the best
results for both CW and SSB on the TH6DXX)
Measure three times....I hate going up and down with the beam. (I am still
unhappy with 15 meters, but it works)
Built a truss to raise the beam. (complicated tramp lashup the work OK)
The end.

>Also, I'll be transforming a TA33 into a TA34.  Any hints and advice
>on this one?

Put it into the bone yard.  I have one.  You want it?  Really, the TA-33 is
a good antenna but very little F/B and not to mention gain.  The TH6DXX
(more than 25 years old) beats it every time.  It is no Force 12, but it
still gets out.  I ran a TA-33 for years and was really disappointed with
its performance.  I might use it as a low beam but I doubt it.

>Last but not least, I'm also reviving a old MA770.  I've got it
>completely disassembled, and preparing to replace the cable and
>pulleys.  Any advice or knowledge on pulleys and the cables?  I've
>also heard talk about lubricating the cables.  Has anyone had any
>problems in doing so?  Has anyone been successful using different
>pulleys?  Any hints and advice on this?

Be damn carefull.  Those things can cut if your fingers, hands and toes.
Think, think, think

Lee - K0WA