[TowerTalk] 55 foot Rohn 25G proposed tower, source for HD housebracket?

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Fri Apr 9 09:15:20 EDT 2004

On Apr 7, 2004, at 6:05 AM, Jim Idelson wrote:

> 3.  You may encounter the CLANGING problem. Wires, cables and any other
> hardware that is not securely attached may vibrate or hit the tower in
> the
> wind. This will resonate inside the house.

I had a "tapping" problem with my bracketed tower. Winds caused the
coax to "tap" against the tower. Really annoying. judicious use of tape
eliminated this problem.

> 4.  You may also encounter the CREAKING problem. This one is much more
> difficult to resolve. Again, this problem occurs when there is wind.
> It doesn't
> take much to do it. As the antenna blows in the wind, there is going
> to be a
> certain amount of twisting and swaying of the tower. These forces may
> cause
> tower joints to move a bit - squeaking - and additional forces will be
> applied
> to the housebracket, which efficiently conducts the sounds to the
> house.

My bracketed tower does NOT creak. I think the use of TWO brackets
helps reduce the shift of the tower. Even in strong winds (40 MPH), my
tower does not budge.

> Another annoying kind of sound that can be conducted to the
> house is the vibration of the yagi elements in the wind.

My tower does this. Only on the strongest gusts, the antenna elements
vibrate at very low frequencies. More of a sub-audible hum.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901