[TowerTalk] 500' #14 solid THHN, $15 @ Lowe's

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Fri Apr 9 09:16:55 EDT 2004

On Apr 7, 2004, at 6:42 PM, Bill Turner wrote:

> If it is like my wire, after about 2-3 years in the sun the outer
> transparent cover will peel off like a snake shedding its skin, leaving
> the black insulation underneath.

Yes, the outer layer of THHN wire is not UV resistant. It will crack,
peel and flake off spectacularly in 1-3 years, depending on your UV
exposure.

> Mine has only been up about four years
> total but the black underneath seems to be holding up ok.  The peeling
> outer layer doesn't seem to cause any problem other than looking a bit
> odd until it's completely gone.  White wire behaves the same way.

I have also used black wire, and it has been up since 1996 as dipole.
I've also used a gray wire, which was up for over 7 years at another
QTH. Both are in excellent shape.

Stranded THHN wire is a wire-antenna bargain. It will stretch under
tension, but is otherwise excellent.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901