[TowerTalk] UBC On-Line?

Alan C. Zack k7acz at cox.net
Sun Apr 11 14:07:33 EDT 2004

I am dealing with getting a bldg code under IBC-2000 with 90 MPH wind
calcs (70 MPH wind calcs and stress analysis under the older UBC-97
ARE NOT acceptable).
I would first go to the tower manufacturer and see what they are able
to provide.  Then present their info to the bldg dept and see if it
what they need.
In the case of a tower ask them to check section 3501 of IBC-2000
which deals specially with towers.  I was told I would need category D
wind exposure specs but then US Towers told me that was not true,
check section 3501, and the bldg dept agreed.  For sure you will need
a CA PE wet stamp on all drawings and calcs so be forewarned.  It
sounds like they are looking at you adding a room or another building
rather than putting up a tower.  Ask if there is one bldg inspector
who deals with towers rather than general bldg plans.
I have been working for 5 months trying to get a bldg permit for a 40
ft tower.  Each time I'd go to city hall I'd get a different bldg
inspector who had his own interpretation of the codes.  Try to start
working with one guy if you can.
GL